Monday, December 20, 2010

Fine Motor & Scissor Skills

One of the hardest things I have tried to teach my preschoolers is learning to cut with scissors. I figured if I bought the safety scissors and put a piece of paper in front of them then voila!!! they would cut out snowflake patterns the same day. Ok just kidding, but I had no idea it would be such a struggle. So for the other mommies out there struggling with teaching this skill I wanted to share some of the ideas and resources I have found so far on this topic.

First, remember that it is important to build up those little hand muscles and fine motor control before your child can master the use of scissors.

Here are some great fine motor activities for preschoolers...

FINE MOTOR SKILLS

* SPONGES
Your Therapy Source has a cute idea for using sidewalk chalk, water and sponges called “Put out the fire”

* PLAYDOH
Practice rolling, kneading, squeezing and pulling playdoh to work all of those tiny hand and finger muscles.

* CLOTHESPINS
Let your preschooler practice squeezing clothespins open and clipping them onto plates or cardstock.
Here are some cute ideas for using clothespins:

~ 1+1+1=1
clothespin ABC cards to match lowercase letter to uppercase letter

~ Confessions of a Homeschooler

* BEADING tweezing, tonging, stringing and sorting







* POKING HOLES  using toothpicks and large pushpins on thin (not cardstock) paper on carpet. I got this idea from Confessions of a Homeschooler




SCISSOR SKILLS
Once you gather the courage to move on to letting your preschooler begin holding and waving around scissors...

* Start with easy to cut items such as playdoh and heavy paper/cardstock.
I keep all of the scraps of cardstock I have leftover from making preschool materials and put them in a ziplock bag that I can pull out when I need a quick activity for my preschooler who is constantly begging me to "cut something!". Just be sure to keep your preschooler close by so that you can make sure your curtains don't end up on the chopping block as well ;)


* Use safety scissors and look for a pair with an open assist. We found ours at the Dollar Tree.
I found a similar pair on Amazon...

Maped Koopy Spring Scissors
Maped Koopy Spring Scissors, 5 Inches, Assorted Colors (037910)
Preschool Scissor Skills Resources & Printables

* Confessions of a Homeschooler has a scissor practice sheet for each unit in her Letter of the Week curriculum.

 * Carisa at 1+1+1=1 has vocabulary cards and a memory verse for preschoolers to cut out for each unit in the Raising Rock Stars Preschool curriculum.



* ABC Jesus Loves Me has some great ideas and tips on teaching scissor use.

DLTK-Kids  has printable scissor skill worksheets to practice straight and curved lines.

* Preschool Palace has scissor skill worksheets for practice cutting lines and zigzags and also come cut and paste activities.

* Activity Village has printables to practice cutting lines and also shapes. They even have a Christmas shapes cutting page!

* Kumon Workbooks

My First Book of Cutting (Kumon Workbooks, Commonwealth Edition)


Let's Cut Paper! (Kumon First Steps Workbooks)

Let's Cut Paper! (Kumon First Steps Workbooks) 

Play and Grow: Cutting and Pasting Paper (Play & Grow Workbook)

Play and Grow: Cutting and Pasting Paper (Play & Grow Workbook)


* Last but not least...buy some rye grass seeds and let them practice cutting "hair" and pray they don't get the idea for their own hair or worse yet their sister's hair! ;)


Do you have a post you want to share on fine motor skills or scissor skills? Share it here...

1 comment:

  1. Great ideas! I have never seen scissors with open assistance. I will keep my eye out for them.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback :)

LinkWithIn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...