Tuesday, December 28, 2010

Our Winter Sensory Bin

We have been busy putting the house back together after the hectic days leading up to Christmas, but as I have time, I have started gathering materials and resources for our winter preschool unit. When I was sorting the items in our Christmas Sensory Bin for storage, I decided that since the boys enjoyed it so much I needed to make a winter sensory bin to go along with our winter unit. So here's what I came up with...


Here's what I put in our Winter Sensory Bin...

WATER
Rice colored with blue food coloring
Take 2-3 cups of rice and put them in a ziploc bag.
Add a couple of teaspoons of rubbing alcohol
and several drops of blue food coloring.
Close bag and shake until rice is evenly covered.
Pour onto wax paper and allow to dry several hours.



SNOW
cotton balls and white pom poms


Snowman Erasers


ICE
clear plastic beads


 Winter Sight Words & Letters
snowman, snow, ice, water
S, I, W


 Flat white marbles???
not really sure what this represents but it is white and cold to the touch



Dump it all into a box and you have hours of preschool fun and exploration just waiting to happen! The only thing I would change is having ALOT more rice to dig through.
.


Differnt measuring spoons and scoops for pouring into an icecube tray ;)


Other Cute Sensory Tubs I have come across...




We got a tiny bit of snow after Christmas which is rare for where we live.
So of course I had to take Tinkerbell outside for 30 seconds so she could touch snow for the first time!
She is soooo adorable :)



7 comments:

  1. What wonderful things to put in a bin. I need to try making one of these.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color of the rice! It looks just like the water here in Bermuda. :) To answer the question from your email, I normally do not have any issue with the color staining my son's hands, but for the first time this month it did. Not sure why. I thought perhaps I did not allow it to dry long enough or it may have been the kind of food coloring I used? I would NOT recommend watering the rice because it would definitely dilute the color, not to mention it would change the consistency of the rice, leaving it sticky and prone to molding. I wonder if baking it on a low temp for a short time would work?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sensory bins are so much fun. I love your idea of the blue rice. Lots of goodies for them to play with in there.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for stopping by! I had already stumbled across your winter tub .. you gave me inspiration for the sight words .. what a wonderful way to extend the activity!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute tub! I added it to my tumblr page: http://givinguponacleanhouse.tumblr.com/archive
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe you will want to get a facebook icon to your website. Just bookmarked this site, but I must complete this manually. Simply my advice.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback :)

LinkWithIn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...