Thursday, February 3, 2011

Easy Peasy Cottage Pie Recipe

Ok...I'll admit that this doesn't exactly look super appetizing, but I promise it is super yummy! And it is a way to get some veggies into your kiddos diet.

My mother-in-law is from Ireland and England, so that influence has snuck into my cooking although I know I do not do any of the traditional dishes justice.

Cottage pie is one of my favorites, because as a veggie-hater myself (sorry, but it's true) I was super excited to find a recipe that gets me to eat more veggies.

Here's the recipe for my version:
Pie Filling:
2 lbs ground beef
2 tsp worcestershire sauce
2 tsp minced garlic
1 finely chopped onion
salt and ground pepper to taste
1 can sweet peas and carrots

Topping:
8 servings instant mashed potatoes
6-8 oz shredded sharp cheddar cheese

Directions:
Saute the onions in 1 tsp olive oil for 3-5 mins
Add ground beef, worcestershire sauce, minced garlic and salt and pepper
and cook until ground beef is browned.
Drain fat and then add in peas and carrots and then transfer into glass baking dish.
Prepare instant potatoes according to directions (or you can be "fancy" and make homemade potatoes ;)
I added in a little garlic powder for a little extra flavor.
Drop potatoes by the spoonfull on top of the pie fillings and use a spatula to spread evenly.
Sprinkle with cheese and place in oven preheated to 375 degrees until cheese is melted.


Picture of the pie filling before I added the topping...


My 11 month old, Tinkerbell, adored this dish which was awesome since she is in between the baby food and table food stage and I am struggling to find foods she will eat.
I mashed hers with a fork and thinned it with milk.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds yummy! I think I will give it a go! Kerri

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm saving this with my "to make" recipes. It reminds me a little of shepherd's pie with the mashed potatoes on top. I love how easy it looks to make.

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback :)

LinkWithIn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...