Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Our New Chore Chart

I am excited to say that i think we have found a chore chart that actually works! I have tried a few different versions over time that failed so for a while we didn't use a chart. But after getting sick of struggling to get the boys to accomplish their "chores" in a timely manner without arguing, I was on the lookout for a better way. One of my favorite blogging mommies at Confessions of a Homeschooler recently created and shared her chore chart and it is perfect for our needs! She uses a pocket chart for her cards, but since we don't own one and I am trying to be resourceful (i.e. cheap) I had to be creative with how to display ours. Here is what I came up with....

Each child gets their own sheet. Notice I laminated and added 8 velcro squares to each chart. I also laminated the chore cards and reward tickets and added velcro squares to back of each one.
I only made space for 8 chores each as I want to keep it as simple as possible since I don't want to make it overwhelming to the point that Mommy and kiddo both give up on it halfway through the day.


Every night after they go to bed, I put up the chores for the next day. When they come downstairs in the morning we count how many chores they have to complete that day and write the number of tickets they need (with a dry erase marker on a laminated card) in order to get a prize at the end of the day.

I thought about making prize boxes worth different ticket amounts (i.e. small toy = 5 tickets, candy = 15 tickets) but for now the rule is that all their chores must be completed in order to chose a prize at the end of the day. So the amount of tickets needed to get a prize will vary by the day.

As they complete each chore on the chart, they take down the card and
exchange it for a ticket to put in the chore card's place.


Here is Captain Rex checking out his list of chores for today.
Notice even Little Thomas had his lightsaber in the background. 
It was only 7:15 in the morning and Star Wars role playing had already begun!
There is never a dull moment with 2 little boys in the house! :)


I want to make a cuter version of the prize box, but for now we are just using
an empty tissue box to hold the prize selection.


Since I haven't made it to the store yet for prizes, I decided to be resourceful again (i.e. cheap LOL) and I dug through the leftover party favors from our last birthday party. The boys don't seem to mind though!


Here are some of the chores on our list
that seemed appropriate for their ages (3 and 4 1/2)

* Brush Teeth
* Get Dressed
* Put Dirty Clothes In Laundry
* 20 Minutes Reading
(either alone during quiet time or with Mommy/Daddy)
* Clean Play Room
* Clear Table
* Dust Living Room
(our version involves wet washcloths and is more about
keeping them busy while mommy cleans or does laundry ;)
* Feed Cat (with help of course!)
* Make Bed (i.e. pull up covers)
* Set Table
(i.e. find your cup and actually be at the table to be served!)
* Vacuum 1 Room
(ok I am totally kidding because they can't even physically handle the vacuum, but they can pick up their toys and reamin calm so mommy can get it vacuumed. They tend to run circles around the room screaming when I run the vacuum!)
* Blank Card for Misc. Chores


Be sure to check out and download your own chore chart from Confessions of a Homeschooler!



coahbutton
Giggle and Gumballs also has a cute post of how she puts this chore chart to use in her house.
She also has an awesome idea for a quiet time chart for kids to chose a favorite activity/game from for those times when they need something to do for a few minutes while you accomplish your own chores and to do lists! I am totally making one of these soon!

8 comments:

  1. I really like your chore chart. I am all about being resourceful. I'll defiinitely be bookmarking this for a little further down the road. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love how you did this with the velcro! Can I use your image with a link back on my post to give people another option on how to set it up with little guys?

    So cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your chore chart! I am glad it is working for you and the idea of rewarding them daily is great! Ours seems to be working too! I love finally finding things that work! Thanks for linking back to my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this! I wasn't quite ready to spend the money on the pocket chart and wasn't sure what else to do. This was just the idea I needed! Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea. I was trying to figure out a way to make a chart without having to buy a pocket chart right now. thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi,

    I used this link for my post...

    love ur idea!!

    thanx!

    nancy - from germany :)

    http://samtundsahne.blogspot.de/2012/07/teil-1-das-bisschen-haushalt.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. how do you get the velcro to stick to the laminate

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback :)

LinkWithIn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...