Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Reading Skills Week 1

Captain Rex will be 5 this July and we have started working on his reading skills!

Here's what we worked on for week 1...

Our Sight Word Caterpillar (adorable idea from The Moffatt Girls)
Our words this week were
a, and, the & see


Captain Rex practiced his cutting skills on this word family activity from Musings of Me.
I quickly realized that he has not mastered letter sounds yet so we are going to slow down on the word families next week until we catch up on reviewing letter sounds.





We went through unit 1 of the You Can Read program from 1+1+1=1
to work on our 4 sight words.

 He glued cheerios to 2 of his words.


Sight word puzzles
We definitely need a pocket chart like Carisa on 1+1+1=1 uses!


Sight word search
Do-A-Dot Rainbow Art Set (Set of 6)



He got a little confused about the word "a" vs. the letter a


connect the sight words


connect the dots


sight word coloring
We might skip this one next week because Captain Rex did not like it all.
He doesn't like not getting to pick his own colors! :)



Erasing the sight words as I called them out...
He even practiced writing the words himself which I didn't
 get a picture of but I was impressed that he even remembered the correct spelling!


Find the sight words
This was great practice for "reading" the sight words in a sentence.


He decided against the cheerios for his other 2 sight words and asked to trace them instead.


Here is our word wall :)


These are our spring words from DLTK
I hung them together using Link 'N' Learn Links

Learning Resources Link 'N' Learn Links, 500/Bkt (LER0257)


I am so excited about working with him over the upcoming months on sight words, phonics and word families! This is my first time teaching someone to read and I am so grateful for all of the wonderful resources I have found from other blogging mommies!

I ordered this video to brush up on letter sounds which will also be perfect for Little Thomas!


LeapFrog: Letter Factory


I am linking this to...




 
 
Sun Scholars: For the kids Fridays
 
No Time For Flashcards
 
ABC & 123 Show & Tell
 

7 comments:

  1. I LOVE your post, thanks for sharing! What a great way to incorporate many ideas you found from several bloggers. Love the word caterpillar, we may have to start one of those! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sight word caterpillar is adorable! I think I'd have fun learning to read in your school. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks like doing great stuff. I love how you're integrating multisensory lessons. This well help with memory,and pattern recognition.

    Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that word caterpillar is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You linked to so many great resources I almost forgot to come back! Thanks so much!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the word caterpillar is awesome - I did that when I was reaching & the kids loved it. I might have to start one at home. My daughter is 5 and we are also working on reading - it's fun but such a big task!

    Thank you for sharing your reasources, I am always on the look-out for great ideas.

    I would love it if you could please take a moment to link up on my new Kids Craft & Educational type linky party - The Sunday Showcase which just started today!

    Here is the direct link to link-up: http://momto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com/2011/05/sunday-showcase-51511.html

    The more wonderful ideas we share - the more inspiration we all have! :) I hope you can come link-up and "showcase" your amazing work!

    Bernadette - Mom to 2 Posh Lil Divas
    http://moto2poshlildivas.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback :)

LinkWithIn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...