Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Teach Me To Read Thursdays 3 (with Linky)



"The more that you read, the more things you will know.
The more that you learn, the more places you'll go." ~ Dr. Seuss
Welcome to week 3 of Teach Me To Read Thursdays!

Two people are better off than one,
for they can help each other succeed.
~ Ecclesiastes 4:9


Here you can share your posts on how you are teaching reading skills in your home or classroom.Topics can include a wide variety of topics such as:
phonics & letter sounds
ryhming
sight words
word families


Here’s what we have been up to this week…


This is not reading related, but Captain Rex has been loving his new I Can Cut! workbook I found at Sam's Club. It has been perfect for me to pull out when I hear "what can I cut?" for the 20th time before breakfast ;)




We had a treasure hunt with our sight word sensory box.

This week we have been working on Set 3 of the You Can Read program,
so we added the words it, is, like & my to our box.



I buried the words in the alphabet pasta and Captain Rex used his plastic tweezers to "hunt" for the words on his list.
(I have 5 of each of the 12 sight words we have learned so far in the box).




He used his Do-A-Dot Markers to mark off the words as he found them.






Little Thomas wanted to play too ;)





We worked on the -an word family this week.

In this picture we are using our word family building blocks, our -an reader from the Moffatt Girls and our an word family ladder from Confessions of a Homeschooler.



Rex had to draw a picture of his cookie ;)


Our blocks finally came yesterday so of course today I had to join
Education Cubes and print off the
You Can Read Sight words for them so we could play a game!





Education Cubes


Stack n Smile Photo Blocks Stacking Toy

I wrote out 2 of each of the 12 sight words we have learned
on index cards for our game.
Each block holds 6 cards so we used 2 blocks for our game.


The boys took turns throwing the blocks and then running to see what word it landed on. Little Thomas doesn't know the words yet but he was able to match them up.


They moved their matchbox cars to the word they rolled and Captain Rex
read each of the words as he drove over them.


I am linking our game up to...

Word Play 125 Square
Visit 1+1+1=1 to see more word play ideas!



Here was our last -an activity. I found this on Word Way.
This website has tons of great word family printables!


I am linking this to
Education Cubes Show & Tell




So what has everyone else been up to this week? 

 







Please grab my button for your posts or blog if you want to link up, so that other people can easily find the other resources that are shared. :)







6 comments:

  1. Wow! You are incorporating word play in so many ways! I'm very impressed. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post!! I will be launching my Ready2Read program tomorrow!! You may like some of the resources in the units since they cover both phonics and sight words.
    Annie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now following you from the hop and would love a follow back at
    http://mizzreviewlady-mommyreviews.blogspot.com/
    Thanks:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your colored alphabet pasta. My 3 year old would LOVE this! You should come & link up with Fun for Kids Friday www.localfunforkids.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, I LOVE how you used the cars along with the Education Cubes. My boys would love that! Can I feature you and your idea on the Education Cubes blog? I would write a blog post and use one of your photos. I would link back to your site giving you credit for the photo and the car idea! Let me know your thoughts! MamaJenn {at} EducationCubes {dot} com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shared your idea on the EC blog today! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

I love feedback :)

LinkWithIn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...