Sunday, June 5, 2011

Special Needs Awareness Out & About Sign Hunt

Since we we were out so much this week with my husband's vacation and my outpatient surgery, we had plenty of opportunities to play our Out & About Sign Hunt game from our


First, I pointed out the handicapped parking space to Captain Rex (almost age 5) and asked him if he knew what it meant. His answer was, "Yes! It means Olivia!"
(aka his cousin pictured below who has low functioning Autism and distal AMC)
He recognized the shape of her wheelchair.


We talked about the color of the lines being blue and how it meant people with handicaps and "boo- boos" got to park there so they would be closer to the door.
Captain Rex exclaimed "I want to park close to the door too Mom!"
I reminded him we didn't have boo-boos or need a wheelchair and such to get around so it was easier for us to walk a longer way.
"Oh so we get to park in the yellow spaces then? That's cool."

Then I pointed out the sign hanging on the rearview mirror of the car parked in the handicapped space. I told him that was their "ticket" to park there. If you have a preschooler then you know how cool they think tickets are. Captain Rex understands tickets = prize.

As the week progressed, Captain Rex was eager to point out each sign he saw and tell his Daddy what it meant. And of course he thought the handicapped stall in the bathroom
 was totally awesome LOL.

This week I will be introducing my sight reader for this unit and a few of the printables.



If you have downloaded the unit and blogged about it, please leave me a comment so I can see how everyone else is using their preschool packs with their children. :)

0 comments:

Post a Comment

I love feedback :)

LinkWithIn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...